Monday, August 3, 2009

Psalm of Life

This week I would like to share some very simple thoughts from a journal I keep while having my quiet time. For the record, I do not write in it every day. Occasionally I even forget that I have a journal. So, any ideas that I am some super together chick can be put to rest right now.
*
The thoughts I would like to share are from Psalm 23. For years I have thought of this passage as the "Death Psalm". Movies use this passage for dying moments; many people repeat it in times of fear and uncertainty. As I read it this past week I saw it in a completely different light.
*
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
*
In King David's time shepherds guarded their flocks fiercely, killing lions and those who would try to steal or inflict harm on the sheep. A shepherd was also responsible for guiding the flock to good grazing areas. They would comb through the fields pulling out poisonous weeds and plants that the sheep might eat and in turn be sickened. This verse shows me that the Lord is my protection and my provision in every area of my life.
*
2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.
3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.
*
The Lord brings me to a place of rest through His Word. He feeds me spiritually and gives me refreshment. Through His Word I am led down paths of righteousness in order to bring glory to His name.
*
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil;
For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
*
Sometimes I must have faith in God's perfect character based solely on what He has shown me in previous good times. If I have been faithful in studying His Word and hiding it in my heart then I can rely on those times of refreshment and filling to remind me of His faithfulness and guidance, even when I feel alone and dry in my present spiritual walk.
*
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.
*
When I am struggling with relationships or persecution He prepares exactly what I need to deal with the situation. The Lord pours His healing on me and gives abundantly what I need for the moment.
*
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
*
The goodness and mercy of the Father are with me always. At the end of an earthly life filled with His presence, felt or not by me at times, I will spend eternity with Him. What a beautiful promise! I will no longer think of Psalm 23 as the "Death Psalm". It is a Psalm of Life!
*
Prayer:
Father, thank You that in these six verses are promises of life, guidance, mercy, goodness, protection, provision, comfort, rest, and eternity with You. You truly are good and merciful! Amen.
*
Challenge:
Take one verse each day this week and meditate on it. Throughout the day think of how the Lord is working out that verse in your life.
*
Jen Gorton 2009

No comments:

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!