Monday, July 27, 2009

In the Boat

This past month I received an email from a friend who has been going through a hard trial with one of her children. Although she has been suffering greatly she has been returning to the Word and promises of the Lord. Doing that is what keeps her going while this storm rages around her. I asked her permission to share her words anonymously and she graciously granted it. My prayer is that as you read her exhortation to herself you in turn will be greatly encouraged and strengthened in your walk.
*
"I am trying to rest in the fact that the Lord is in control, He is omnipresent and omnipotent. I know all of that in my head and have for my whole life. RESTING in it is not always the easiest thing but I think I am getting there. That means, not worrying about things. As a mom, it is hard not to worry. As a woman whose been around the block a few times, it is hard not to worry. As a person who knows that the Lord allows things to happen that I would never allow to happen if I were God, I have to REST in knowing that HE knows better than I do simply because He is GOD. I am merely a human. His ways are certainly not mine very often. He orchestrated things for His glory even when I don't get it, see it, or understand it. My heart is getting there - at least it is much closer than it has been in recent weeks.
*
You see, we cannot be "in the boat" worrying and fretting over the storms that are raging all around us because He is in the boat with us. I will never leave you nor forsake you. Joshua 1:5 I am trying hard to quit running to the back of the boat and yelling, "Wake up, WAKE UP!! DON'T YOU SEE THIS TERRIBLE STORM!!!!!!!!" He doesn't need me to point it out OR to point out "the solution"!!!! If I trust in Him, I should just let it be, let Him sleep, and sit quietly waiting for it to pass or for Him to say. "Peace Be Still." He knows there is a storm and He knows what to do about it. Oh, I want it to be "Peace Be Still" right now, but that may not be a part of the Master Plan. Some things simply work out better if the storm rages a bit and then calms down."
*
My friend's closing words struck me. "Some things simply work out better if the storm rages a bit..." As hard as it is, we will do well to keep that in mind as we struggle through difficult times. The Lord promises so many times that what ever we go through will bring good fruit if we are His and we are walking in His ways. These verses come to mind: Romans 8:28 All things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His purposes. James 1:2-4 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. These verses are not always comforting when we are in the midst of suffering, but that does not change the fact that they are true. There is hope! There is a future beyond this difficulty! There will be the fruit of maturity and completeness. God is so good to remind us of these things. He is faithful and He is in the boat.
*
Prayer:
Father, help me to hold on tightly, remembering Your promises to always be with me and turn my sorrow into joy. Thank You that no suffering is lost. This time in my life will be redeemed and used for Your glory if I keep my eyes on You. Amen.
*
Challenge:
If you are in a storm right now, take time to read the account in Mark 4 of Jesus and the disciples in the boat. Meditate on Christ's ability to stop the storm as well as His ability to have peaceful sleep during the storm. Copy the verses above and place them where you can be reminded throughout the day of the good that can come from the bad.
*
Jen Gorton 2009

No comments:

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!