Monday, July 13, 2009

Cheerfully Disobedient

This weekend, one of our children spent one on one time with my parents. When I inquired about her behavior they laughingly told me that she was cheerfully disobedient. When they say cheerfully disobedient they really mean it. Our peanut can do the complete opposite of what you have told her and you won't even pick up on it until an hour later. There are no tantrums or noticeable defiance, just quiet indifference with a smile and a hug thrown in for good measure. We know this is something we need to work on with her and we need to hop to it! The longer she goes in this direction the harder it will be turn her heart later.
*
I know where my daughter's cheerful disobedience example comes from. Me. When I overbook myself to minister to those outside of my family I am being cheerfully disobedient to God's command to look well to the ways of my house. When I choose to show such mercy that my children never feel the pain of their sin I am being cheerfully disobedient by not training my child. When I do something that I know my husband will probably not be in favor of yet I avoid getting his input, I am being cheerfully disobedient to the command to submit to my husband. When I pass on a prayer need I was asked to keep confidential I am being cheerfully disobedient in regards to gossip.
*
Slapping a happy face on my disobedience does not change the fact that sin is ugly. Disobedience is disobedience regardless of the attitude in which it is done. I can try to hide it from others, but the Lord of all knows my heart of hearts. I am so glad! I do not want to be cheerfully disobedient anymore. I want to be cheerfully obedient in all things.
*
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139:23,24
*
Prayer:
Father God, I know that many times I try to hide my sin by putting on a front. I smile and do all the right the things on the outside while on the inside I know that I am doing wrong in my heart of hearts. Please search my heart and point out offensive ways in me. Give me a good jolt and remind me that being obedient inside and out is what pleases You most. Amen.
*
Challenge:
This week when you hear that little voice whispering that you have ulterior motives, stop and ask the Lord to test you and show you what you are being cheerfully disobedient in. When He does, change course and cheerfully obey. You might be surprised what He reveals. Many times we do not even realize that something we are doing is really defiance clothed in good intentions.
*
Jen Gorton 2009

1 comment:

Marnie said...

Thank you, Jen, very important things to think about.

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!