Monday, August 31, 2009

Do You Shed?

I asked my husband what I should write about this week as I was feeling quite dull. He got a very thoughtful look on his face and then told me that I should write about dogs and how they shed fur. I thought the same thing you are mostly likely thinking right now. What on earth does a dog shedding have to do with a bunch of moms?
*
At the beginning of each autumn our dogs, especially the goldendoodle, begin to grow extra fur for the coming winter months. This comes in quite handy in our cold and snowy northeast Ohio climate. Come spring I am not as intrigued by this God designed winter coat as it all falls on my wood floors. However aggravating the shedding might be, it is a good thing. Can you imagine wearing your winter coat all summer in the heat? The dog's shedding allows for them to sleep better, play better, move around better - it's a good thing.
*
The same is true for moms who shed their busy coats. Unlike my dogs, my shedding time comes in September of each year. After a fun, full summer I need to look at my calendar and begin to slow down. I home school my five children and I simply can not keep the same activity list as I do in the warm and carefree months. If I did, my home would be in a constant state of disarray and my children would be uneducated ruffians. It is much easier and more enjoyable to teach my children when I am not trying to fulfill a myriad of obligations outside of my home. My family needs to be my priority. When I am walking purposefully in my current season of life (summer, holidays, schooling, etc.) I find that the walk is more enjoyable and successful. I encourage you to begin to shed your fur for this coming season and enjoy the time at home.
*
Let your eyes look straight ahead and your eyelids look right before you.
Ponder the path of your feet, and let all your ways be established.
Proverbs 4:25,26
*
Prayer:
Father, thank you for this coming school year. What an honor to be home with my children, teaching them and training them in the ways You desire. Please help me to be focused on this season and what you would have me be involved in. Amen.
*
Challenge:
If you have not yet looked at scaling back for this school year do so this week. Make sure that you leave time for date nights and fun stuff, but determine to have tunnel vision in regards to your home school. It is easy to get off track simply anticipating a coming event. Ask your husband to help you make wise choices with your time.
*
Jen Gorton 2009

1 comment:

Marnie said...

Thank you, Jen. I am pretty sure I have some shedding to do.

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!