Monday, April 20, 2009

Search Me

I sought the Lord and He heard me… Psalm 34:4a
*
Waiting on the Lord is a beautiful thing. While waiting, we can quietly sit and listen carefully for Him to speak to us. Sometimes He reveals wonderful, deep truths about Himself. Other times He reveals a sin in our life that is hindering us from complete fellowship with Him. That is what I experienced this past week. If you remember, I was waiting on the Lord to fill my spiritual life with the rush of His presence. I had been experiencing a dry time and was longing to feel Him. Once I settled into waiting for Him to speak, He did.
*
The Lord showed me that there was a sin issue in my life that was keeping me from enjoying His presence. I did not think I had anything unresolved that would result in His pulling back, but I did. I was harboring unforgiveness in my heart towards another person. Once I repented and then extended forgiveness to this person in my heart, that tangible presence that I had been longing for flowed back into my life.
*
Sometimes we get so caught up in being good moms, wives, and friends that we forget to stop and evaluate our ‘performance’ as heavenly daughters of the King. When is the last time you stopped and took a good look at the hidden places of your heart? Maybe you are harboring unforgiveness towards your husband or child, gossiping under the guise of sharing a prayer need, being lazy with your duties at home, or undermining your husband’s leadership.
*
Psalm 139:23-24 encourages us through King David’s prayer:
*

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

*
I encourage you to take that prayer as your own. Ask the Lord to search your heart and reveal anything that is keeping you from enjoying the fullness of His presence. When He does, do not delay in digging the sin out and filling the space with His word, the way everlasting. His presence is worth it.
*
Prayer:
Lord, thank you for Your patience with me. Thank you for Your faithfulness. You told me to wait on You and when I did, You spoke to me. Let me be ever mindful of my need for You to search my heart.
*
Challenge:
Start each day with Psalm 139:23-24. Be sure to quietly wait for the Lord to speak. When He shows you a sin issue move quickly to repent of it and change your habit. The sooner it is nipped in the bud, the sooner you will enjoy the beautiful presence of the Lord in your day.
*
Jen Gorton 2009

No comments:

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!