Monday, April 27, 2009

Pray About It!

I am a firm believer in praying about everything. When I was growing up, my parents went from riches to rags in their journey with the Lord. He decided that they needed to really learn reliance on Him and gave many wonderful opportunities to do so. My first clear memory of answered prayer was the house in Graceville, Florida. When my father heeded the call to become a pastor we moved to this tiny town for him to attend seminary. Mom started praying for housing. She prayed very specifically: plum trees, chickens, a barn or outbuilding for Dad’s small engine repair business, utilities included in a small rent fee and a yellow bug light on the front porch. The bug light was to be the dew on the fleece. One day, there it was – the house with everything including the yellow bug light on the front porch. The place was ours! We moved in and within days the well dried up. Our neighbors strung a hose from their well to our pipe and we lived with on again off again water for the rest of our time there. What lesson did Mom learn? She learned to leave nothing out when she prayed and how to wash and rinse her hair in under two minutes. That whole time spoke volumes to me. I saw what prayer can do and that nothing is too big or too small.
*
In the Word we are told, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.” Philippians 4:6. The Lord does not say to only pray about the big stuff, but everything. He cares so very much for us. Our needs, desires, concerns are all important to Him. There is nothing that should not be prayed for.
*
We should pray about getting to know the Lord more intimately, unsaved loved ones, parenting, which curriculum to use, how to order your day, frugality in the grocery store, the headache that will not leave, fear, the tenseness with your husband, the constipated baby, the business meeting at church, the bills, the broken computer, the desire for a vacation, cancer, the new clothes your child needs, the time for a bubble bath, protection while traveling, for no one in your house to throw up (my all time most used petition), lost tools, the hurting friend, a new dog, the new dog that keeps getting loose, anxiousness, confusion, bad dreams, the list goes on and on. I am by no means saying to look at God as our genie in a bottle, but to rely on Him for even the smallest of needs.
*
Begin to pray about the everyday stuff and watch what happens. Your faith will increase as you see the Lord respond to your petitions and as you learn to wait when He does not answer in your time frame. Your children will see your reliance on Him and they will begin to pray more as well. It is so sweet to hear your child say, “Lord, please show me where my new blue pony is. I really want to play with it.” It is even sweeter to hear, “Mommy, I asked and Jesus showed me where my pony was! Thank you, Jesus!” There is a lot of praying out loud at my house and that helps the children to learn as well.
*
When you have prayed and the Lord has answered, be sure to thank Him openly. Even if the answer was not what you desired. The Word says, “In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18 Let your kids see that even when the answer is no, He is still worthy of thanksgiving and praise.
*
I encourage you to begin this practice today. “Have I prayed about it?” should be a daily question you ask of yourself. Don’t save prayer only for emergencies and dinner. He wants to be the first One you run to in every circumstance.
*
Prayer:
Father, thank You that I can come to You with anything. Thank You for caring about my needs and desires and for giving me exactly what I need in answer to every prayer. Please give me a nudge and remind me to take everything to You in prayer.
*
Challenge:
This week actively look for areas in which you need to apply more prayer. Use lost toys, difficult relationships, financial need as the starting point. Remember that your children will watch and learn from your example - good or bad.
*
Jen Gorton 2007

No comments:

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!