Monday, January 2, 2012

Smells Like...Holy Spirit


When I am in the library reading magazines and I come across one of those fragrance strips that appeals to me…I look around all secretive-like and then brush my wrist across the paper.  I want to carry that fragrance with me, making others think, “Wow, she smells good!  Where can I get some of that?Wouldn’t they be surprised to know?  Of course, there are other fragrances that I would be more likely to call an ‘odor’.  Those do not get rubbed on my skin.

Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. To the one we are the aroma of death leading to death, and to the other the aroma of life leading to life. And who is sufficient for these things? 2 Corinthians 2: 14-16

In 2 Corinthians 2:14-16, Paul draws a comparison between Christ’s followers and long ago war heroes.  When a victorious leader would return to his home city, a parade of triumph would be held in his honor.  The parade was made up of fearless warriors and important people of the city, as well as prisoners of war.  The incense that was burned during this merriment smelled sweet to those celebrating the victory.  To the prisoners it was anything but sweet.  For them, the incense was a reminder of their lasting captivity or impending death.

To those who are believers, or who are responding the Gospel, the fragrance of Christ is the sweet aroma of life.  To those who reject Christ, it is the odor of death; a reminder of the vacant place within their souls that can only be filled by the very One they refuse to follow.  

Do you want to be a diffuser of Christ’s fragrance every where you go?  Within your own strength that is impossible.  It is only with Christ in you, the hope of glory, that He can be seen (and smelled) by others.  Draw near to Him, walk closely behind Him in the shadow of His wings, let His hand rest upon you every hour of the day (Psalm 63:7-8). Then, and only then, will others find the fragrance of Christ around you.  Make them want to rub it on their wrists.

Prayer: 
Father, thank you for allowing me to be a diffuser of Your fragrance to those around me.  When others respond in a negative way, please give me the grace and strength to respond as Jesus did while on earth.  Amen.

Challenge: 
Consider making your 2012 spiritual goal one of being a great smelling believer.  Find a partner and encourage one another to be like Jesus in every area of life.

Jen G. 2012

1 comment:

Thia said...

Hehe, I always tear those stinky pages out the minute I get the mag and hope that the rest of it airs out before I read it. Yuck! But, I get the rest of the post...lol.

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!