Monday, January 23, 2012

Distracted by Worship


Distract: to turn or draw from any object; to divert from any point, towards another point or toward various other objects; as, to distract the eye or the attention.

King David was the master of distracting himself with worship.  Over and over in the Psalms you read his heart wrenching prayers.  He poured out his hurt and anger when friends and family betrayed him, his fear and frustration when people plotted to kill him or take the throne, his grief over his sin with Bathsheba and the final consequence resulting in the death of their child.  Each time, however, David returns to worship.  He never allows a prayer to end without reminding himself of the goodness and faithfulness of God.

LORD, how they have increased who trouble me! Many are they who rise up against me. Many are they who say of me, “There is no help for him in God.”  BUT You, O LORD, are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head.  Psalm 3:2b, 3a

They confronted me in the day of my calamity, BUT the LORD was my support. He also brought me out into a broad place; He delivered me because He delighted in me. Psalm 18:18, 19

When the wicked spring up like grass, and when all the workers of iniquity flourish... But You, LORD, are on high forevermore.  Psalm 92: 7a, 8

My days are like a shadow that lengthens, and I wither away like grass. But You, O LORD, shall endure forever, and the remembrance of Your name to all generations. Psalm 102:11, 12

Life is not easy.  We are faced daily with our own sin and the sin of others.  It all affects us in some way.  We can choose to follow the lead of hurt and anger and confusion, consequently falling into a pit of depression or bitterness, or we can stand firm and declare "BUT GOD".  He is the final authority, not our circumstances.  

CHOOSE to be distracted by worship of the most holy God!

Prayer:
You, O Lord, are worthy of praise in every circumstance.   Allow me to be immersed in Your presence as I turn from the discouragement and schemes of the enemy.  Amen

Challenge:
There is a Psalm for every situation that might draw your attention away from the truth of God's character.  Gossipy friends, wayward children, depression, financial troubles, illness - there's a Psalm for that.  Find them and use them to pattern your own prayer times.  David did not hide under a rock or put on a happy face when trouble came around.  He faced it head on, called it what it was, and then reminded himself of who God is and what He has promised to His children.

Jen G. 2012
Have you found us on Facebook yet?

3 comments:

View from the Parsonage said...

Thanks for another great exhortation .. God always uses you to refocus my week.

Melissa said...

I remember a pastor once said that David was a great man because he always remembered God's faithfulness in his life. I have always been encouraged by that, and now am encouraged by this devotional that you have shared.

"But GOD...." is enough for me!!!

Thank you!

G.L.H. said...

This was great! (and timely). Thanks for sharing.

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!