Monday, January 16, 2012

He Will Strengthen Your Heart


“I wish I could just crawl into a hole and pull it in behind me.”

Staring into a bottomless pit, numb, wrung out, heartsick and hopeless; these are all words that describe someone who has lost heart.  Losing heart is not something reserved just for those who experience traumatic events such as the death of a child or a divorce.  It can happen to anyone at any time for any reason.  For me, it comes most often with seasonal changes that impact my emotions.  For you it might be the result of a bad choice with your words or regrets in your parenting. 

I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. 
Wait on the LORD; Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; 

Wait, I say, on the LORD!  Psalm 27:13,14


Whatever the reason for your heart sickness, there is but one cure.  Only One can strengthen your heart and give the courage needed to push through or wait it out.  Faith in the Lord and His goodness, regardless of your circumstances or feelings, can give the hope and the courage you need.  

One thing I have desired of the LORD,That will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD All the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in His temple. For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion; in the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me high upon a rock. Psalm 27:4,5

In the presence of the Lord you can find refuge and that secret place in which you long to hide away.  While in His presence you will be nurtured, refreshed, and restored!  Seek Him each day and when the dark, heart sick times come there will be shelter and encouragement in His secret place.  His Word will be hidden within your heart, reminding you of the truth you may not feel in the midst of pain, hurt, loss or depression.  

Regardless of our feelings or circumstances, the Lord's Word and His character never change; they are always faithful and true.  Do not lose heart - believe that you will see the goodness of God!  Wait on Him, have courage, allow Him to strengthen your heart.

Prayer:
Lord, You are constant, never wavering in Your faithfulness.  Please help me to cling to You when it seems I am sliding in a downward spiral of confusion, pain, fear, etc.  You promise to strengthen my heart.  Let me rest in You and be a testimony of Your joy in every circumstance.  Amen.

Challenge:
Copy Psalm 13 and commit it to memory.  When you feel the darkness closing in, pray the beautiful words and allow His peace to fill you.


Suggested reading for those dealing with depression: http://pmcrawford.blogspot.com/2012/01/quiet-time-reflections_09.html?spref=fb

Jen G. 2012




1 comment:

Pam Crawford said...

Jen I am so grateful that God has helped us understand that "getting through" is simply about "getting in" relationship with Him. When things feel dark to me now, I know to get right into the light of His Word and He never fails to meet me there. There is no season so dark that God can't come in and change the atmosphere. Thank you for this beautiful reminder today.

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!