Monday, April 12, 2010

Ugly Pride

Let’s talk about pride.

According to Webster’s 1828 Dictionary, pride is an inordinate self-esteem; an unreasonable conceit of one's own superiority in talents, beauty, wealth, accomplishments, rank or elevation in office, which manifests itself in lofty airs, distance, reserve, and often in contempt of others.

At times I am a walking definition of this ugly word. Proverbs 13:10 says, “By pride comes nothing but strife, but with the well-advised is wisdom.” There are times when my home is filled with strife. Often that strife originates with me when I become angry when a little person does not follow my instructions. Instead of reacting in anger, I should be grieved in my heart because my child is walking in disobedience that will affect his or her relationship with the Lord. My pride has elevated my inconvenience over the holiness of the Lord. If I am well-advised (spending time in the Word), I will have the wisdom to avoid the pride and in return, the strife.

Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? James 4:1

The Word is crystal clear on the source of all arguments and strife. It all comes from pride. My personal desire for pleasure (what makes my life easier, what makes me comfortable, what makes me look good) causes fights and quarrels. Of course, my family also contributes to this atmosphere. However, I have a responsibility to respond in a godly way. Once again, if I am being well-advised by the Scriptures I will know how to respond and handle the situations that arise with my children and husband. Pride is a personal issue for which I must take responsibility, working towards walking in humility like Jesus.

Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up. James 4:10

Prayer:
Father, please forgive me for walking in pride, seeking in my own way and comfort. Help me to be aware of my part in strife that arises in my home. I desire to be a woman of peace. Amen

Challenge:
Keep your eyes open for pride in your life this week. Look at the definition above carefully. Make note of all the ways pride manifests itself: lofty airs, distancing oneself, reserve, lofty looks. The next time you have a spat with your husband, stop and examine your motives and reactions. Remember, all fights come from pride. If you die to yourself, there is no way an argument can continue! Be prepared, dying to yourself is painful and frustrating, but the end result is wonderful!

Jen 2010

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Ouch! It won't take much to keep my eyes open. THANK YOU for the conviction and the reminder! When our idols are comfort and "my time" then the thing with the kids is even more difficult!

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!