Monday, April 5, 2010

Not Forgotten

“How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me? How long shall I take counsel in my soul, Having sorrow in my heart daily? How long will my enemy be exalted over me?” (Psalm 13:1,2)
*
In the movie Bruce Almighty, the main character is suddenly given God’s powers. Into his hands is placed the enormous responsibility to hear and answer all prayers. This human is completely overwhelmed by the voices in his head and the notes in his ‘divine’ inbox. He simply starts to hit ‘yes’ over and over and over again with no thought of the people in need.
*
Have you ever felt that the Lord is like Bruce in the movie? Maybe you have felt forgotten and unheard. In your mind, you are thinking, ‘At least Bruce hit ‘yes’! God doesn’t even speak to me anymore.” Sometimes the fear of a financial situation or a health crisis causes me to question the goodness of God. Does He really care about me? Does He really see what is happening? Maybe I am simply a blip on His radar screen and He is too busy helping people with bigger problems. I forget that He has promised me, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5b) Jesus also promised that He would be with us to the very end of the age. (Matthew 28:20)
*
It is not always easy to feel the presence or care of the Lord, but we can be assured of those things. Romans 8:38 and 39 says, “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Regardless of how I feel, God’s word is true and faithful. My human heart will fail me, but the Lord never will. His love never fails. I am so thankful that the god of Bruce Almighty is not my God!
*
Prayer:
Father God, even when my heart and flesh fail, You are the strength of my life. You are all-knowing, all-powerful, and always present, even when I forget. Please help me to remember that You are working in my life, even when I do not see or feel You. My lack of perception does not negate Who You are! Amen
*

Challenge:
Focus on the “I am with you” Scriptures this week. Print them on index cards, stamp decorated Scripture cards, make a screen saver for your computer. Keep the true and unshakeable Word of the Lord before you always.
*
Jen 2010

No comments:

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!