Monday, March 1, 2010

Jesus and Women

Studying the word of God can be so rich and fulfilling in every way. I’m often amazed at how much I learn and see the more I take the time to read it. I read a Christian book about Mary Magdalene to the kids one day. Ever since then, I wanted to find out more about her in the Bible. As I started reading the story I thought was about her in Luke 7:37-50, I realized it wasn’t about her. Nor is the story in Matthew 26:6-13. As I continued, I found out that those stories are about two different women.

The story in Luke 7:37-50, is about an unknown prostitute. The story in Matthew 26:6-13, is about Mary the sister of Martha and Lazarus. Since neither of those stories was about Mary Magdalene and because I’m familiar with the story about the other Mary, I was curious about the lady in Luke. As I studied the passage, I was encouraged to see how much LOVE Jesus showed to this woman, especially since she was a woman that some would consider an outcast.

Then I read another familiar story in Matthew 9:20-22. It’s about the woman with the issue of blood. As I read more on it, the fact that SHE TOO was considered an outcast made my heart rejoice even more about how much Jesus reached out to her and showed her love.

But not only how Jesus showed love towards those ladies, but also how those ladies showed much FAITH! Each of those women had lived hard lives - not only in what they had experienced physically, but emotionally, too. We all know how hard it is for us females to have others view us harshly. I can only imagine the looks, comments, and other hurtful things that happened to them. But through all of that, those women heard about Jesus. They WORSHIPPED Him! Wherever He was, they came to Him. They didn’t care about who saw them or what someone would think. They just knew they needed the Savior, and so they came.

Reading about those women really challenged me. They challenge me in two ways:

Where’s my level of worship?
Am I willing to do whatever it takes to carry my troubles to Jesus? Even if it means being looked at or treated differently by others? These women knew they had troubles. They knew they had issues of sin. They knew Jesus was the only One Who could help them and give them what they needed. I am challenged to be that same way.

What’s my heart like towards the outcast?
It’s easy to see that the Pharisees and other “religious” people were wrong to treat those women the way they did. But, as I read how they treated them, I can’t help but to wonder, “What would I do?” How many times do I see a known sick person and truly take the time to find out on a consistent basis how she is doing or how I can pray for her (and really pray)? Or, how many times do I see prostitutes on the streets in various urban areas and not stop (if I could) to minister to them and find out why they’re out there?

Reading about those women just softened my heart more for women. This world is filled with hurting women. It’s a blessing to be women who have been set free through Jesus. It’s a blessing and joy to know that He saved my soul and has changed my life through His Word. I know many other women can testify to the same thing. But there are still some dear and precious women out there who are hurting so much. We need to go out there and share the gospel with many women who need the Savior.

Prayer:
Dear Lord, thank You so much for softening my heart so much more for women. You are doing a wonderful thing, Father. Please help me to use every opportunity You give me to share the gospel and Your word with the women You bring my way. Help me, Holy Spirit, to respond to the prompting You give me. May I not allow fear to keep me from sharing with someone. In Your name, Amen.

Challenge:
It’s simple. Let’s strive to be more faithful and diligent to share the gospel and build disciples. As I looked at Luke 8:2-3, Jesus had many women disciples, too. May we be just as faithful as those women were.

Zinnada Hodges 2010

No comments:

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!