Monday, February 22, 2010

Living Under a Cloud

The following devotional is one my favorites ever to be shared on Fresh Starts. The authoress, Barb, is a blog friend that I "met" about two years ago. Her writing inspires me, as does her quilting and love of vintage fabrics. When you are finished reading, I encourage you to hop over to Barb's personal blog for an update on 'Charming" and his job.
*
Wow. That doesn't sound very pleasant, does it? "Living under a cloud." I think of "living under a cloud of suspicion;" maybe there are other sayings, as well. But the cloud Charming and I have been living under is a very different animal indeed.
*
The 9th chapter of Numbers, beginning in verse 15, talks about the Cloud that settled over the Tabernacle in the wilderness. This is the cloud that signified the presence of the Lord. Among other things, it signified when the nation of Israel was to get up and move on from wherever they had camped. "Whenever the cloud lifted from above the Tent, the Israelites set out; wherever the cloud settled, the Israelites encamped." (v.17)
*
I love verse 22: "Whether the cloud stayed over the tabernacle for two days or a month or a year, the Israelites would remain in camp and not set out; but when it lifted, they would set out."
*
It has been almost eight months since Charming lost his job. Had I known when this journey began that we would still be "encamped" in this place, I would have been much more fearful than I am. I have learned once again about the provision of the Lord. I have learned (begun to learn...) not to worry so much about things that don't matter. And I have broken the fast food habit!
*
Several times, I have told the Lord, "If I only knew how long we'll be in this place, I could plan better." Of course, He didn't answer me. I learned to accept that this is a Learning Place for me. Charming likened it to a dense fog. You could only see far enough ahead for a step or two. So, of necessity, you could only take a step or two before waiting some more.
*
We all know in our heads that Waiting and Learning are not bad things. They grow us, mature us. And now it looks like the time may be near that the Cloud is going to rise, and we'll be moving on. Today Charming has a third interview with a company. Already had the background check, and all that stuff they don't bother to pay for if they aren't planning to use you.
*
Still, until that Magic Offer comes, we're still Waiting.
*
But you know what else comes with that Cloud thing? While the cloud is sitting over the tabernacle, the Israelites knew that the presence of God was with them. They were Never. Alone.
*
What a very, very comforting thought. How He has proven His promise to me: "I will never leave you or forsake you."
*
"Whether the cloud stayed over the tabernacle for two days or a month or a year." Lord, thank You for Staying.
*
Prayer:
Lord, remind me again that when I am in a place where I feel that nothing is happening, that I'm "not moving," that You are there with me. Help me to be patient and to learn the things you have for me in that place. Nothing is wasted in Your economy. I praise You for Your work in my life every day, including today!
*
Challenge:
Maybe you have not realized that the Lord may have you "camped" for a reason. We need to realize that God is working in our lives every day. Even in a desert place, He never leaves us or forsakes us. What a wonderful promise! Take some time today to dwell on His promise, and the fact that He loves us enough to make us "stay put" for awhile, to grow us.
*

1 comment:

Shawntele said...

A wonderful promise for me to meditate on today, thank you.

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!