Monday, February 8, 2010

Simply Delightful

LORD, You have assigned me my portion and my cup; You have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. Psalm 16:5-7
*
The Psalmist was almost certainly not referring to a woman’s life at home when he wrote these words. They are perfect for me to pray, however, regardless of the original intent. The Lord of the universe assigned me to the family I have and He has most definitely caused my boundary lines to fall in pleasant places. The Lord gives me the delightful inheritance of a happy marriage as I pray for and honor my husband, seeking his best before my own desires. I am inheriting a peaceful home as I reap the rewards of faithful child training. Beautiful memories are inherited as I set the table each night for a meal shared together. A meek and quiet spirit is inherited as I study His Word and seek His good and perfect counsel.
*
Trust in the LORD, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the LORD, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD. Trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. Psalm 37:3-5
*
Sometimes I feel as though I am not inheriting a peaceful and joy filled home. When that happens, I stop and examine what I am delighting. Am I delighting in my own peace and quiet instead of dealing with bad attitudes amongst my children? Maybe I am delighting in having shamed my husband into finishing a project. Or, I might be delighting in an extra half hour of sleep instead of my devotional time. Once I pinpoint the reason for the lack of true delight, I refocus my eyes the Lord, seeking His good and perfect will. He will then bring the desires of my heart to fruition because they are once again based on delighting in Him. I then enjoy the delightful inheritance of a peaceful, happy home and relationships with others.
*
Prayer:
Heavenly Father, thank You for giving me the true desire of my heart – Your perfect will. Help me to stay focused on You. I know that which is my delight will be my desire. I desire You and all that You have for me and my family. Amen
*
Challenge:
Take time to meditate on Psalm 37:3-5 this week. Read it over and over, absorbing the truth of what is written. Examine your life and see if you are truly delighting in the Lord and to what He has called you.
*
Jen 2010

2 comments:

G.L.H. said...

Wow, Jen, this one is good! I'll be coming back more than once this week.

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord, my sister. Thanks for posting this. Take care.

Zinnada<><

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!