Monday, June 22, 2009

A Thorny Issue

You know the old adage that if you tell a child, "Johnny don't walk on the grass. Johnny will walk on the grass." Well, this is also true with adults. During pregnancy I become a gestational diabetic with the added joy of having to take insulin. The moment my O.B. says, "Jen, you gotta watch the diet now." I immediately crave cheesecake and every other carbohydrate ever invented. It's sheer torture. While carrying our last child it seemed that eating eggs and salad was the only sure way to control my raging sugar. I would whine and complain – if only on the inside – and was known to cry over my salad. If you don’t believe me, just ask my husband. I chose not to reveal this “normal for me” pregnancy induced disease to most people as it always prompted glances into my grocery shopping cart along with watchful eyes at social functions.
*
Pregnancy diabetes was my thorn in the flesh. I pleaded many times for the Lord to remove it from me and became irritated when He didn't. Finally, I decided to look into this segment of the Apostle Paul's life, the part that he longed for the Lord to take from him. Of course, it probably was not diabetes, but I knew I could still learn from his words. In 2 Corinthians 12: 7-10 we see Paul coming to understand that the reason the Lord allowed him to wrestle with this thorn was for God’s own glory. Paul had a great following and people respected him and his love for and trust in the Lord. This would give him reason from a human standpoint to think he was “So Big” (as we said in the eighties). But Paul understood that as he dealt with infirmities and persecutions, for Christ’s sake, he was not abandoned by God but instead he was given more grace; even access to the power of Christ. Jesus encouraged him by saying, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Then Paul was able to see that the thorn he wanted to be rid of was actually a great blessing. It allowed for Christ to be exalted in his life, and to receive all the glory in everything that Paul accomplished. This understanding of the thorn in his flesh made it worth the suffering he was called to endure.
*
My solution for dealing with my bad attitude regarding this trial comes from Hebrews 4:16. I am commanded to “come boldly before the throne of grace, that I may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” I am in need. My only hope is to boldly go before God and obtain His mercy. I don’t have to beg – but come boldly and I will be given all the grace I need. What are you struggling with? Losing weight? Confusion? Bad health? Bills? Whatever has come into your life has first been filtered through the hand of God. He has permitted it and is graciously giving you the opportunity to put into practice the principles in His word, which will help strengthen your resolve to give Him first place in your life, and the glory only He deserves.
*
Prayer:
Father, I give you my thorn and ask that You would be glorified in it. Help me to call out to You for the help I need, not to become resentful and angry. Remind me that in my submitted weakness You are made strong. Amen.
*
Challenge:
This week, look at the thorns in your life. If the Lord is not removing them after much prayer, then embrace them as an opportunity to exalt Him. Choose to push through and draw closer to Jesus in the midst of the difficulty.
*
Jen Gorton 2007

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jen,
Thank you for being willing to send encouraging words to us every week. Everything does come through His hands -- that is what I will be meditating on today!
Bless your heart. JB

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!