Monday, June 1, 2009

A Listening Heart

We had an exciting event take place at our home this week – a new grandgirl arrived! Her name is Naomi, and she is already bringing her old grandparents much delight (her name means “delightful”).
*
I say “old” because in some ways, I am feeling old these days. We have a total of seven grandchildren (with one on the way), the gray is starting to show up, and I cannot climb the stairs as quickly as I once could. The days of thinking of myself as a youth are long gone.
*
So while I was recently reading through Ecclesiastes, I did not have to think too hard about which age category I fell into when I read from chapter 4. Here is the verse that caught my attention:
*
A poor yet wise lad is better than an old and foolish king who no longer knows how to receive instruction. Ecclesiastes 4:13.
*
A few years ago I would have focused on the young person’s part of the verse, but that day my attention was focused on the “old” part. Not that I am a queen (only in my own mind!), but I was caught up short by the question of how well do I receive instruction?
*
I lead worship at our church, and there are two young members on the team. There have been times when both of them have given their thoughts (always respectfully) about something we were working through or needed to decide. There have also been times when I was going one direction, and one of them really thought we should do something differently. These moments cause me to think hard before speaking and to measure my response to them. I cannot lie and say that I am never tempted to push my own way due to their youthfulness. Not that I am always successful, but the Lord reminds me to look at them with His eyes – He sees the wisdom He is building into their hearts, and even though they are younger, He is doing a marvelous work in their lives. I actively try to listen to their instruction.
*
But what about when my “king,” my dear husband, instructs me in something? I don’t always think hard before speaking back, but my response is often measured – it can be quite a loooong response back! This is not the way of the Lord. He would have me receive instruction with a listening heart.
*
There are many people in our lives who should be able to give us instruction: friends, bosses, elders, partners in our ministries, parents, and yes, even our younger children. And of course, the Holy Spirit gives us the most important instruction of all.
*
So as I hold little Naomi in my arms, I wonder what instruction she is going to give me through the years. It may not be verbal, but she will have instruction in the Lord’s ways to give me. Will I be old and foolish and not listen to what the Lord speaks through her, or will I be wise and have a “lev shema,” a listening heart? May the Lord help me to be wise and to listen to anyone He sends to instruct me in His ways, young or old.
*
Prayer:
Dear Lord, please help me to hear You this week. Help me to listen to Your instruction in any way You choose to give it – through Your Holy Spirit, Your Word, my husband, my parents, my peers, and yes, even through my children and grandchildren. Please grant me a listening heart that is quick to obey You. Amen

Challenge:
Be mindful of how the Lord might send instruction to you this week. Ask Him to help you listen to Him, no matter how He speaks to you. A good place to start is spending 15 minutes a day reading the Proverb of the day. Today is June 1 – read through Proverbs 1 today, then Proverbs 2 tomorrow, etc. Proverbs 1: 5 says, “A wise man will hear and increase in learning, and a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel…” And verse 7 reminds us: “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.”
*
Julie Bailey 2009

No comments:

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!