Monday, April 30, 2012

To Love and Good Works

Note: There have been some technical difficulties with the formatting of this post that I have been unable to rectify.  So, excuse the wonky layout, but be assured that the words shared are wonderful!

I am very blessed to share a devotional by a dear friend and fellow Fresh Starts contributor, Mrs. B.



Our family recently hosted a Christian Passover Seder for our community.  In preparing for these in the past, I often went to the Jewish store to get something we needed for the Seder, and I noticed the long tassels that the Orthodox Jews wear.  In the Old Testament, the Lord gave a commandment to wear those tassels, and some Jewish and Messianic sects continue to do so today.

37 Then the Lord said to Moses, 38 “Give the following instructions to the people of Israel: Throughout the generations to come you must make tassels for the hems of your clothing and attach them with a blue cord. 39 When you see the tassels, you will remember and obey all the commands of the Lord instead of following your own desires and defiling yourselves, as you are prone to do. 40 The tassels will help you remember that you must obey all my commands and be holy to your God.” Numbers 15 (NLT)

Many people wear things that are associated with religious beliefs, both Christian and non-Christian.  Years ago I wore a head covering, and the main reason I did it was to remind myself to pray and to keep the Lord’s ways; it served to remind me of Who I belonged to and why, and it helped me keep my focus on Him.

How does that translate to us today?  We are told in Hebrews 10,

23 Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep His promise. 24 Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. 25 And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of His return is drawing near. (NLT)

Perhaps WE are the “tassels” in each other’s lives?  If that is so, then it is vital that we spend
time together, despite our current American culture of distance and individualism. I know how
hard it is to get a young family fed, dressed, into the car, and off to gatherings and times of service
and outreach with other believers. But it is important to walk closely with others in community on
this narrow way.  When I see you, I am reminded to keep my heart and eyes devoted to the Lord
and that you and I were made to worship Him all our days.  You are the “tassels” I need to see.

Prayer: Father, as I walk this narrow way, please remind me that I need my spiritual family.  Help
me to submit my life to Godly people who will serve You with me, and who will speak the truth to
me in love when my eyes get off of You.  Help the “tassels” of my own life to be holy and devoted to You so that I can motivate others to love and do good works for Your Kingdom.

Challenge:  Ask the Lord to give you greater awareness of how your life can motivate others to acts
of love and good works.  Ask Him how you can gratefully say with Paul in Galatians 1:24, “And they were glorifying God because of me.” 



No comments:

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!