Monday, March 19, 2012

Fleas


Flea-less Mazie
A couple of years ago I was doing the obligatory flea check on our poodle.  This is the dog that barely walks outside if she can help it, so I was not even remotely concerned. (I have caught Mazie doing her business in the garage under the truck to avoid getting her feet wet on a rainy day.)  Imagine my shock, horror, and overreaction when I saw one. 

A flea. 

On my dog... in my house.

I called the vet in a panic.  Seriously, I was so over the top I am sure the vet tech was scared.  I was willing to do whatever I needed to Mazie to get rid of this flea;  I was sure it was covering for a thousand more hiding in her doggy pits.  Everything slightly short of Mazie's death was an option.  The vet tech suggested a $40 medication that would kill all fleas, but not the poodle, within one hour of a single pill being ingested. This magic internal flea bomb would also kill any unborn fleas or new riders that hopped on and bit.  Sold!

I get a type of flea sometimes.  Lie fleas.  These little bugs jump into my thoughts and heart and take bites that create a small itch at first, but become more intense as I scratch.  Here are some common examples of lie flea bites:

1.  Someone thinks you are trying to get attention, so you back out of anything that puts you in front of others.  God gifted you in areas that require you be in front of others?  Oh well!

2. Your child is struggling in reading, math, science… or everything.  Obviously, you are a lousy homeschooling teacher and should send all your kids to a brick and mortar school tomorrow morning.  God called you to teach your kids at home?  Oh well!

3. Your friend and her husband just bought a new car and are taking their whole family on a trip to Disney World for two weeks.  If your husband took on another job, then you could do stuff like that.  God hasn’t directed your husband to get a second job and His Word says you should not nag him about it?  Oh well!

In each of the above scenarios, the Truth is being ignored. 

1. If God has called you or me to teach or sing or lead a Bible study and we decide to let someone else’s opinion of us direct our ministry, or lack thereof, then we are placing man’s opinion above God’s calling in our lives.  

The fear of man brings a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe. Proverbs 29:25

2. If our child is struggling in a certain area academically and we feel God’s call to homeschool, then we are to push through.  Each child is unique with strengths and weakness that we as their parents are to help them grow and overcome as needed.  If you feel inadequate, call out to the Lord who promises to guide and give wisdom to those who ask in faith.   

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.  But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. James 1:5, 6  

I called on the Lord in distress; The Lord answered me and set me in a broad place. The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man [or my kid’s math lesson] do to me? Psalm 118: 5, 6 

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, [or the depths of Apologia Biology] even there Your hand shall lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me. Psalm 139:9-11

3. Jealousy is a nasty thing.  It will eat away at our thoughts, affecting our words and interactions with others.  

Wrath is cruel and anger a torrent, but who is able to stand before jealousy? Proverbs 27:4  

We can become dissatisfied and bitter over the short stick we think we are getting.  In turn, we might pressure our husband to possibly step outside of God’s calling and direction for our family and end up playing Junior Holy Spirit in his decisions.  

A foolish son is the ruin of his father, and the contentions of a wife are a continual dripping. Proverbs 19:13 

The truth in Proverbs 3:5-6 tells us to trust in the Lord with all our heart and lean not on our own understanding.  In all our ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct our paths – to Disney World or otherwise.

Just like that $40 internal flea bomb I fed to my poodle in a hunk of hot dog, we need to give ourselves a truth bomb when the lies of the enemy bite at us.  Don’t live with the itching, nip it in the bud!

Prayer:
Father, thank You for Truth.  Nothing else matters.  Amen.

Challenge:
Determine to speak truth to your self at every turn.  The minute you feel the itch to believe a lie of the enemy, combat it with Scripture that is applicable to the situation.  Jesus’ time in the wilderness is an awesome example of using truth bombs liberally.  Identify the most common areas in which the enemy lies to you.  Arm your self ahead of time with Scriptures addressing those areas.  Have the Scriptures on index cards, ready to read the truth into any circumstance.

Jen G. 2012

1 comment:

Pam Crawford said...

Your dogie is adorable and this message hits home. I love the reminder to work at better discerning the voice of God in my life. Thanks for your faithfulness to help others ponder their fleas. I'm getting out the The Word repellent. I love the guarantee it comes with.

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!