Monday, March 5, 2012

But God


A week ago this morning, the sounds of sirens and helicopters filled my neighborhood.  A young man opened fire at the high school one street over from our home, killing three boys and injuring two other children. In one single moment, the lives of the families of the murdered and injured, as well as the students and teachers in the school building, were changed forever. 

I ask that you continue to pray for Chardon, even as state and national attention refocuses on other tragedies and news. The world goes on, even when it seems as if it should stop.  For many in my beautiful town, their world has stopped for now.  Pray also for the ones who will continue to minister to these hurting people. 

And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others. BUT GOD, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ…

The words that most stand out to me in this passage are BUT GOD.  I was dead in trespasses and sins, I walked according to the course of this world, I lived for myself, I was like the world.  BUT GOD, who is rich in mercy, because of HIS great love…made me alive in Christ.  These beautiful words made me think of other times I can say, “BUT GOD!”

“I do not WANT to be kind to that person!  I can not BE kind to them!!”

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. Galatians 5:16

“I am beaten down by the words of others.  My heart hurts and I feel so unprotected and vulnerable.”

But You, O Lord, are a shield for me, my glory and the One who lifts up my head. I cried to the Lord with my voice, and He heard me from His holy hill. Psalm 3:3, 4

“I CAN NOT homeschool anymore!  I want naps, lunch with friends, spending money and a clean house!”

Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:  I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:11-13

“I am terrified that something will happen to my children, husband, parents...”

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

“I am alone.  My husband has left my family.  How will we survive?  Who will provide for us?”

But You have seen, for You observe trouble and grief, to repay it by Your hand. The helpless commits himself to You; You are the helper of the fatherless. Psalm 10:14

“My sinuses feel like someone is jabbing hot pokers up my nose and my children are sharing pink eye with one another repeatedly.” (Real life for me right now!)

And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

“All the horrible things that are happening in the world makes me wonder if God even cares?  Is He really good?”

This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. 1 John 1:5

Man creates evil, not God.  If not for Jesus Christ, we would all remain dead in our sins, waiting to leave a sinful world for an eternal hell of death and suffering.  BUT GOD, who is rich in mercy gave us a way to Him.  Jesus took our sin upon Himself. He willingly came to earth, wrapping all of His glorious Deity in a frail, homely, human skin, and suffered lies and hurt and betrayal at the hands of the ones He loved.  He did all this to repair the damage done by Adam and Eve when they chose to reject the perfect goodness of God for a sweet lie presented by Satan. If the Lord cared enough to send His only Son to restore us to Himself, He surely cares about all the things that occur in our daily lives.

In what situations do you need to shout “BUT GOD!”?  The One who is rich in mercy has words for every circumstance and feeling.  Search them out in Scripture and use them daily.  Do not allow anything to rise above the awesome power and goodness of our God.

Prayer: 
Father, I need Your help.  I rely on my own strength to be good, to handle pain and fear, to provide.  Please remind me in every circumstance that in my own strength I am weak, but in You I have been given everything that pertains to life and godliness.  Amen.

Challenge:
Find the BUT GOD verses that relate to what you are facing in life right now.  Post them around your house, keep a spiral index card book in your purse to read over verses while waiting in line or at a doctor’s office.  Keep the truth of God before you at all times.  Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing causes them to stumble. Psalm 119:165

Jen G. 2012

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I woke up in the night thinking, "Today is Monday - I cannot wait to read Jen's blog." I so appreciate being able to start the week with your words of encouragement from the Lord.

My "But God" moments are ones spoken with a whine when I don't want to do what He is asking me to do or when I do not believe Him (similar to when our children say, "But Mom..."). Oh, my. Thank you for a renewed perspective on those words. Blessings to all of you, and the people of Chardon are surely in our prayers.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing! Chardon is in my heart and prayers. I pray for comfort and peace.

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!