Monday, June 6, 2011

Name Them One by One...

by Jen G. 2011

Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world… Philippians 2:14, 15

The words to the hymn “Count Your Blessings” came back to me this week as I was crabbing to my grandmother about all the ‘misfortunes’ of the previous days; a broken dryer, a broken dishwasher, quarrelling amongst my children, chipped paint on the baseboards… It was ugly. Granny, however, kept pointing me back to the Lord and the importance of recognizing His provision in all areas of my life.

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-19

We have been blessed with plenty of sunshine and our parents’ dryer for rainy days. The broken dishwasher has enabled me to teach my children a new skill (hand-washing dishes), as well as provided them with the opportunity to be productive together. The sound of bickering has alerted me to the fact that I have slipped in some in my child training and need to get with the program. Chipped paint….well, I am thankful that I have walls!

In the midst of counting my blessings, I include Granny and the rest of my family who always point me right back to the Lord. Are you that compass for someone or do you join the pity party of a friend or family member? Begin to count your blessings and help others count theirs as well.

Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:23-25

Prayer:
Father, thank You for constant reminders to count my blessings. Everything in my life is an opportunity to give You praise. Help me to be the blessing counter with a friend or relative who is struggling with seeing Your goodness in all things. Amen.

Challenge:
Monitor your blessing counting this week. Are you doing a good job or have you fallen off the gratitude wagon? Look for ways that the Lord could be using circumstances to strengthen your faith and draw you closer to Him. Keeping a Gratitude Journal or a Blessings Book is a helpful way to keep on track.  Be mindful of your conversations with friends; be the encourager who points them to thanksgiving. 
Jen G. 2011

1 comment:

Angela said...

Thank you for this gentle reminder. We have been truly blessed and we need to share that with others.

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!