Monday, May 16, 2011

In Time of Need

By Jen G. 2011

"...incline your ear to wisdom, and apply your heart to understanding; Yes, if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures; then you will understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright…” Proverbs 2:2-7

While away on an errand I received a call from an upset child about the actions of another child: hurtful words, an angry slap. I could feel the ‘waiting for mom to come home’ atmosphere upon my arrival. Even the dogs were quiet.

“Lord, please give me the words. I am not even sure how to approach this. Wisdom, I need wisdom. Now, Lord.”

The offending child was waiting for me. As we sat on the edge of the bed I was still pleading with the Lord to give me the words to speak into this young heart. We talked about what led to the sin.

“He had his hand over my mouth! I keep telling him not to do that! I got tired of licking his hand, so I just slapped him.”

I never dreamed that in my parenthood I would hear that excuse. “I got tired of licking his hand….”

After I squelched the rising fit of laughter, I heard the wisdom of the Lord come into my mind. At just the right moment He gave me insight into the deeper issue at hand and the words to speak to my precious child.

So many times I jump head first into correcting a child without stopping to beg for the wisdom of God I so desperately need. Why is that? Sometimes it is impatience on my part and other times it is simply because I forget. And yet, at other times it is because I do not really want His wisdom. I do not want the tender tone; I want to let the child know what I really think without concern for their well being or feelings.

Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit. Proverbs 18:21

Correcting my children is something I must do. Speaking truth into their lives is something I must do. Doing it in a way that brings life to their spirits and not death is vital. My words and tone carry much weight in the lives of my offspring. I must strive to use those words wisely each time I have opportunity to counsel them, regardless of how my sinful self desires to respond. Praise God that His wisdom is always available to me! All I must do…is ask.

Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16

Prayer:
Father, help me to remember to come to You BEFORE I speak. Let me see the fruit of Your wisdom in my life. Amen.

Challenge:
Be quick to hear and slow to speak this week as you deal with the sin issues in your children’s lives. Stop and pray quietly, asking the Lord for His perfect wisdom in that moment. If your children ask what you are doing, tell them you are asking your Father for guidance. Not only will it show them that you rely on Him for help, but it will strengthen the relationship they have with you. Seeing you go to your Heavenly Father for help in situations will draw them to you when they need help. In turn, you take them to the Lord. It is a wonderful cycle!

Jen G. 2011



1 comment:

G.L.H. said...

One word: Ouch.

Thanks for sharing this very timely devotional!

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!