Monday, April 4, 2011

Springs of Life

by Sherry S. 2011
*
This week I have been preparing for a retreat where one of the topics I am to address is the Exposed Heart.  I am continuously amazed at how full the Word is of references to the heart. Once you start looking at the Scriptures it is incredible the things you notice about your own heart.
*
Proverbs 4:23 says: "Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life."
*
Ouch. That one hits home doesn't it? How often do we neglect our heart attitudes? We go about our days as if all is well, when in fact we have neglected to keep our hearts in step with the Spirit of God.  Before we know it we look back on a trail of hurt feelings and wounded friends and family. 
*
Luke 6:45 says: "The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart."
*
I shudder to think of the things I have said to my precious husband or daughter in a moment of frustration. Can you identify? As I have grown in my faith, I have learned that I don't even know my own heart, but there is One who searches my heart and knows and loves me enough to open my ears to see and even hear the condition of my heart.
*
Is it any wonder why the Psalmist prayed in Psalm 139:23 -24, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way,"?
*
I praise the Lord that He began a good work in me and will complete it. I thank Him that He is changing me daily to be like Jesus. And I know that He will do the same thing for you. Are you willing? Are you ready to let issues of life flow from your heart, through your lips, and into the lives of others?
*
Prayer:
"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.  Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,
And uphold me by Your generous Spirit." Amen
*
Challenge:
This week LISTEN to what is coming out of your mouth, and then you will KNOW what is really in your heart. When you find out then run to your Father and allow Him to change your heart and, in turn, your speech.




No comments:

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!