Monday, April 18, 2011

Not Alone

by Jen G. 2011

One moment I was standing with a smile and the next I was flat on my spiritual back; crushed, laid low, hopeless, miserable, humiliated, and wounded. The feelings were so intense that I literally wanted to lie down and hide under something.

But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up. Ecclesiastes 4:10

What caused this awful moment of incredible weakness? It was a small thing, really – a mother/child thing. It was certainly not uncommon and by no means something to get my knickers in a knot over. And yet knotted they were.

And then…

Friends surrounded me. Women that I do not normally get to visit with for longer than a coke and fries, a hug after church, or a chat while getting my hair cut gathered around me and cared for me. They talked me off my emotional ledge and pointed out the fiery dart of the enemy that was digging into my heart. They encouraged me to not give in to the lies of Satan. They boosted me with words of love and admiration for my child. They spoke truth.

Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him.  And a threefold cord is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:12

Do you know someone who needs the threefold cord of friendship? Is there a lady who is struggling to see the goodness of God or recognize a spiritual attack? Reach out to her and speak truth to her. Be the mouthpiece and reassuring arms of Jesus.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when the desire comes, it is a tree of life. Proverbs 13:12

Prayer:
Father, thank You for my mom and other sisters in Christ who held me up when I was succumbing to the lies of Satan. Thank you for giving them discernment into the issue at hand and the wisdom to speak into my life. Help me to remember the example of Christ in them and in turn allow You to use me in another woman’s life. Amen.

Challenge:
Be watchful for opportunities to minister to a woman this week that just needs a friend. Listen for the Holy Spirit’s prompting and act on it, letting Him guide your counsel. Read Ecclesiastes 4:9-12.

Jen G. 2011

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jen, thank you for this post. I have been in a sad place for several weeks due to losses in our family, and my friends (including you) gathered around me to get me through it. After reading this, the Lord put a friend on my heart; I called her, and sure enough, she was struggling with something, but cound not explain right then. I know the Lord led me to call her due to this post. I told her I was praying. Thank you again. May God bless the friends who loved you.

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!