Monday, December 20, 2010

To Love Like the Savior

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”  Mark 10:45

I purchased a book called “Improving Your Serve” by Charles R. Swindoll. The book interested me because I often times sense that I can be a bit SELFISH and unwilling to SERVE my family joyfully. When I saw the book, I instantly knew that it was a book for me to read. In the beginning of the book Pastor Swindoll spoke of Mark 10:45 (and I trust it will be basis of his teaching on this particular subject). As I read the verse, I was convicted, knowing that I wasn’t having a servant’s heart. I look forward to reading more from the book.

As we focus on the advent of Christ, I couldn’t help but to think of Isaiah 9:6 and Philippians 2:5-8 because in those verses, we see an example of such love that our Lord had because He was willing to HUMBLE Himself into the form of a bondservant and take on the likeness of man in order to be the final sacrifice for our sins. Wow! What great love is this!!

"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,  but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.  And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross." Philippians 2:5-8

As I’m learning to grow in my love for God and my family, this is such a GREAT time to see this area in my life.  As Christmas day is approaching, we are likely to see many manger scenes as we travel and some of us may even be blessed to attend a play. I’d like to challenge us (as I strive to be challenged too) that whenever we see a manger scene and see the baby Jesus, think of Him “coming in the likeness of men” and that He did so UNSELFISHLY. God the Father didn’t have to twist His arm. Jesus didn’t say, “What? Come down there to look like THOSE people! And to DIE for THEIR sins!” No, He willingly did it because He had us in mind to redeem us back to the Father. How GREAT is the Father’s love that He would do this for us.

At one time in my life, Christmas was a time of GIFTS (even as a believer). Now being more mature in my faith, God is TEARING that thought life away and is dealing with me about what my family really needs for Christmas (and forever) from me: a wife/mother who willingly dies to selfishness and strives to show my love through the way I serve them. So, I’d like to encourage you to do the same. If you know that there has been a bit of unselfishness in the way that you care for your family, ask God to help you and strive to serve your family and friends in a way that demonstrates love JUST as Jesus showed His love for us!

Prayer:
Dear Jesus, thank You so much for revealing that to me because I’ve often times MISSED the nativity scene of You lying in the manger. Now, when I see one, may I truly FOCUS my eyes on that example of You laying there. May I rejoice in my heart that You were came ready to live a life which would save my soul from hell. Thank You, Jesus. In Your name, Amen.

Challenge:
1. Whenever you display your nativity scene or go and see one, don’t just adore the design, focus on the DIVINE.
2. Whenever you find yourself tempted to consider yourself more than others (particularly your family) be reminded of the night our Savior was born and that this was a plan that would bring you to salvation. If Jesus was willing to humble Himself, why can’t you.

Advent - Week Four:
Theme: Angels (Love)
Sun. Is. 7:10-14, Mon. Luke 1:26-35, Tue. Is. 9:2-7, Wed. Mt. 1:18-25, Thu. Luke 2:1-20, Fri. Mt. 2:1-2, Sat. Luke 2:21-35 Advent concludes on Christmas Eve with the lighting of a fifth white candle that represents the purity of Jesus.

Zinnada H. 2010


1 comment:

G.L.H. said...

Such an Awesome thought: the servant-king. He came because He loved us!

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!