Monday, December 13, 2010

Joy to the World!

I love the beginning verse to the BarlowGirl song “Hallelujah (Light Has Come):”

Mmmm, my baby, Heaven sent you to me

All the world’s been praying, Who will save?

A few lines later, the chorus begins:

Hallelujah, we’ve been found…

A Child is born to save us now

Hallelujah, Light has come

A Savior who will set us free,

The promise for those who believe.

Hallelujah, we’ve been FOUND. It is so incredible to me that the Creator of the universe cares that much for me. Little ol’ ME. The unbelievable fact is that He made the plan from the beginning. Even before Man fell, the plan was in place to restore us to Himself.

Think of that when you read the verses from Luke 2: “And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for behold, I bring you good tidings of great JOY, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.”

If you have walked with the Lord for any length of time at all, you’ve heard the idea that Happiness is dependent on circumstances, but Joy is not hampered by them. You can have joy in the midst of the most “unhappy” circumstance. I think of the familiar verse “He will never leave thee or forsake thee.” (Hebrews 13:5) Just knowing that I can’t mess things up so bad that He gives up on me, or that no matter what I go through, I never, ever, EVER have to go through it alone—what a comfort, and what a source of JOY.

“and you shall call His name Emmanuel, which means “God with us.”

My beautiful sister lost her husband in August. We lost my father this year, as well. My husband’s sister went through a divorce this year which she did not seek. A friend’s son got his girlfriend pregnant. This Christmas will be difficult for all of them/us. But if I focus on *Him*, I can have JOY.

"Hallelujah, we’ve been found.” That cute little baby in the manger? He is “God with us.” An astounding thought that goes ‘way past Christmas and takes us into Easter and beyond.

I’ll finish with my favorite Christmas verse, II Cor. 9:15: “Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable gift.”

Prayer:
Lord, I thank You for giving Your Son, in order to reconcile us to Yourself. It is an unbelievable thought, that indeed brings “joy to the world.” Help me, in the midst of the hectic season, to put aside my own circumstances, and remember what You have given to us, Emmanuel.

Challenge:
Yeah, the challenge is to find some TIME this week to “think on these things!” And, if this Christmas season is a little lean on “happiness,” think instead about Joy. Ask a friend to help you dwell on the good things that God has given you, and the promise that He is with you through this season, and beyond.

Advent – Week Three:

Theme: Shepherds (Joy)
Scriptures: Sun. Luke 1:5-13, Mon. Luke 1:14-17, Tue. Luke 1:18-25, Wed. Luke 1:39-45, Thu. Luke 1:46-56, Fri. Luke 1:57-66, Sat. Luke 1:67-80
Barb K. 2010










1 comment:

Melody said...

Awww, sweet words to hear today. Was just thinking about you yesterday as I read a comment you posted on a new blog I'm following. I'm catching up on blog reading today and glad I started with yours.

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!