Monday, August 16, 2010

Renewed by Him

Sometimes I get so overwhelmed with responsibilities that I feel like my head is about to spin completely around like the chick from that awful movie I was not allowed to watch as a child. You know the feeling: panic when you suddenly realize your are so busy that you could not fit an emergency room visit into the schedule, frustration because you have forgotten to buy toilet paper three days in a row, guilt because your children have eaten more carbs in the last week than they have since they were on solids.
*
There are times when I can cut things from my schedule and bring relief; other times that is simply not an option. When those times come I am especially thankful for passages such as Isaiah 40:29-31: "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
*
These verses encourage me to hope in the Lord as the only One Who will renew my strength. Extra vitamins, more sleep, faster exercise or fewer appointments might take the edge off, but only He can renew me completely and give me the strength I need to soar, run and walk through the pressures and responsibilities of the moment.
*
Prayer:
Father, thank You that You have given me the strength to walk through the responsibilities I have at this time. Please help me to handle the pressure with grace, never bringing reproach on Your name when I feel rushed or overwhelmed. Amen
*
Challenge:
If you are at a place where you simply can not take something off of the schedule, then take care to view your commitments as divine appointments. Allow the Lord to show you what He is wanting you to learn under pressure. Are you needing more patience, more kindness, more flexibility? Listen and learn!
*
Maybe you are in this place all the time. If so, these articles might be an encouragement to you: The Buffet, Do You Shed?. If you are resenting the responsibilities you have with your family, Time Enough at Last will help you gain perspective.
*
Jen 2010

No comments:

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!