Monday, October 26, 2009

The Link Between Training and Honor

I am happy to share another devotional written by my grandmother. Granny Witt is a wise woman who has a deep and abiding love for the Lord. She is an incredible witness for Christ and example to women of all ages. I pray that you are stirred by her words for you this Monday morning.
*
*
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6
*
Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you. Exodus 20:12
*
*
I believe God’s wisdom in Proverbs and His fifth commandment in Exodus are directly connected in guiding us and teaching our children by our behavior, actions, and example. God is asking us to show honor, love, and respect for others from birth to old age. Recently a situation has developed in a close relative’s family that has caused me to look at these Scriptures from a different perspective and also to recognize the consequences of not following God’s guidance. In this instance, a negative pattern was given throughout the life of the child, and the elderly parent is now reaping what was sown; feelings have been hurt, relationships strained. This sad situation could have been avoided if God's loving guidance was followed.
*
As your children see you forgiving and praying for them and others, patiently telling them one more time the right thing to do, don’t give up or despair at what seems to be repetitive. The future payoff will be tremendous, when they step into your shoes and become parents themselves. Then you as a grandparent will reap the benefits of the honor, love, and respect of your children and their children. This is repetition all can gladly live with. It goes on and on from one generation to the next, praise the Lord!
*
Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, I am always amazed at how Your Word is as fresh and new and applicable for us today as when it was first written. I thank You, Father, that You have allowed me to be a link in the chain that will bind my children to You forever. Amen.
*
Challenge:
I challenge you to look at your relationships with the following important people through your children’s eyes: your spouse, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, pastor, church family, and anyone in authority over you. Rate yourself as they would on a one to ten positive or negative scale. Ask God to show you ways to improve those areas that fall short of honor, love, and respect.
*
Granny Witt 2009

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, for this. I've been finding myself a bit discouraged with the constant training and repeating I'm doing with the kids. I find myself repeating so much that it's a bit overwhelming!! LOL

It's good to be reminded by a seasoned Mom the benefits of "not growing weary in well doing".

Thanks for sharing your grandmother's wisdom with us. I pray to be a grandmother who'll be doing the same one day (if the Lord shall tarry).

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!