Monday, March 2, 2009

The Buffet

*
…[she] will not dwell unduly on the days of [her] life, because God keeps [her] busy with the joy of [her] heart. Ecclesiastes 5:20
*
Sometimes we all suffer from what is commonly referred to as “too much on our plate.” Church functions, support group meetings, dance, sports, co ops, parties, music lessons, field trips, meetings, organizations, and ministries are just waiting to fill our time and minds. It's important for us to remember that each outside activity we take on pulls us from our first calling as wives and mothers. After our relationship with the Lord and our husbands we are called to be keepers at home. Is this possible while we are running to appointments, meetings, or recreational events?
*
Before you think I'm telling you to chain yourself to the kitchen stove and never leave your home or go on outings with the kids, let me make a confession: I'm a people person. I love to go to meetings; they're fun for me; I love parties, especially if there's a restaurant involved! However, I must use discretion and moderation when choosing these activities. Even more so, I need to ask my husband for his counsel before committing to activities outside the home.
*
As wives and mothers we set the tone of the home. Be it peaceful or chaotic, the atmosphere is directly tied to us. If we are rushed, stirred up, over committed, and heavy laden we bring a sense of unsettledness, even anxiety to our homes. Proverbs tells us that a foolish woman tears down her house with her own hands. I believe that sometimes this is done with a day planner and the best of intentions.
*
It is okay to say “no” to requests for your time and energy outside of your home. This season of your life is already filled with something that has eternal value. If it builds up your home and your husband gives his blessing, then go ahead and say “yes”. Be sure, however, to listen with an open heart to his counsel and be gracious when he says “no” to something you are convinced is the best opportunity ever to come your way. The Lord will reward you greatly for planting yourself in your home and ministering to your family.
*
Prayer:
Father, thank you that you have given me a family to care for and to love. Please help me to bring all things before you in prayer before jumping in to a commitment. Remind me to trust Your wisdom in my husband and to follow his leadership cheerfully in this area. Help me to guard my heart against resentment and boredom during this time in my life.
*
Challenge:
Make it a point this week to calculate how much time you spend outside of your home, keeping track of the atmosphere in your home and your own heart attitudes. Ask your husband to evaluate your schedule and commitments, pray about them, and then talk with you about what needs to change. Commit to following his leadership cheerfully, being thankful that you have his covering over you. When you are on the receiving end of a busy mom's “no”, please remember to be gracious and realize just how difficult that "no" might be for her.
*
Jen 2006

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

This is a great one, Jen! Of course, you're preaching to the choir here as I am looking forward to the next 4 days of no appts., meetings, "dates," etc. and loving it!

Chained and loving it,

Jennifer

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!