Monday, February 2, 2009

Seasons

To everything there is a season. A time for every purpose under heaven. Ecclesiastes 3:1
*
When my dearest and I said, “I do” little did we know that two months later our first child would be conceived. Our journey of “firsts” began: first smiles, first words, first temper fits, and my first call to Mom for mothering advice. Now, it seems that I am entering a time where others call me for advice for their own “firsts” while I am searching for advice on how to deal with the “lasts.” Unless the Lord intervenes I will never have another baby to breastfeed or another video of first steps. That season of “firsts” is over. Now I am entering a new season.

Our last baby went into a toddler bed and Sunday school and underwear - all in the same month. That alone should be illegal. Our oldest is about to turn fifteen and I feel as though life is going faster and faster. A little study and a lot of prayer helped me to understand and be at peace with the changing seasons of life I am facing.

Merriam-Webster’s dictionary defines season as
  • time characterized by a particular circumstance or feature
  • a suitable or natural time or occasion
  • an indefinite period of time.

It also defines in season as

  • at the right time
  • at the stage of greatest fitness (as in eating – peaches are in season).

I like the second definition of “in season” the best. Take out the peach part and it fits perfectly. I am in this season of my life because I am at the stage of greatest fitness for it. If this season came three years ago I would not have been prepared for it. It is here now and I am being equipped for it daily. The yesterdays were sweet and wonderful and I will miss them, but today and tomorrow will be equally sweet because that is where the Lord wants me to be.

Let me encourage you to be joyful in the place you are right now. Even though it might be difficult, uncomfortable, or even completely wonderful, recognize it as the place the Lord has you at this time of your life. Be willing to live in it joyfully and eagerly while waiting to hear His direction for the next season.

Prayer: Father, thank you that you have created me to do Your good work and purpose. Help me as what that looks like changes. Work in me to be loving, patient, kind, and content in the season you have me. Amen.

Challenge: This week look for the blessings in the season you are in. That might be a no-brainer for some and like looking for a pacifier in a dark car for others. Regardless of what your life looks like right now, concentrate daily on the blessings of breath, salvation, and the Word. As you focus on those blessings, many more will come to mind. Counting those blessings and working towards contentment in your present season will fill your heart with joy.

Jen Gorton 2007

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!