Monday, December 8, 2008

Treasure the Time with Thankfulness

When all of my children were under the age of five, I used to live for nap time, bed time, date night, and mom's nights out. Church was a huge delight, not for the great sermons, but for the free babysitting! Well...my baby just turned five and I am sitting here wondering why I rushed all of those beautiful years.
*
I started this mommyhood journey almost 15 years ago. I can still clearly hear the voices of older moms encouraging me to enjoy every moment, no matter how loud, smelly, messy, or maddening it was. For the most part I think I tried to do that, but I know for certain I could have worked harder at it. I find myself grasping for memories of chubby bodies and infant cries. Not one of my children draws an unidentifiable picture anymore or needs help pouring a glass of water. I would give a mom's night out for a dirty diaper in a heartbeat!
*
The Lord only gives us a certain number of years to be a mommy of littles. Those little ones who were so tiny and helpless grow much faster than we can ever imagine. It is not a bad thing to spend time with other moms or go out alone with your husband. In fact, I strongly believe that those times are very important and vital to maintaining accountability and a strong marriage. It is also incredibly important to gratefully treasure each moment with your little people. The Word tells us to be thankful in all things. Be thankful for the children who still need their mommy to help them go potty - or clean up the floor when they don't make it in time. Be thankful for the little cry during the night calling for you and no one else. Be thankful for Play-Doh crumbs and spilled juice. Soon enough all of that will be over and done with and you will be wondering why you rushed it or complained about it. I can tell you that from experience. The Lord called you, like Queen Esther, for such a time as this. He also called you for such a family as the one you have.
*
If you are struggling with the seemingly never ending days or you are feeling resentful of your children and their needs, I encourage you to continue with last week's challenge and spend time daily in the Word and prayer. The Word is the foundation that you can rebuild your thankful heart on.
*
Prayer:
Father, thank you for the little people you have blessed me with. Thank you for what you are teaching me about myself through them. Thank you that I am able to have children to care for. Thank you for all the messes and memories. Please help me to focus on the treasure my children are and to let them know each day how precious they are to me.
*
Challenge:
This week, choose to be thankful for each mess, diaper, cry, etc. Go out of your way to speak blessing over your children each day and tell them how thankful you are for them.
*
Jen Gorton 2008

1 comment:

BG Academy said...

Thank you Jen! That is SO TRUE! They grow up too fast. Darn! Why didn't I play more when they were little!

:(

I'm enjoying every moment now! (the best I can) :)

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!