Monday, December 29, 2008

Mastering Motherhood

Mastering motherhood has been a goal of mine for the past twenty plus years. There have been many times over these years that I would allow my thoughts to deceive me into thinking I haven’t done all that well. What I now understand is this; I have to remove the idea of “mastering” motherhood in order to surrender to the deceiving nature of these thoughts. Unfortunately the word “mastering” caused me to work towards a false concept of being a perfect mom. Thankfully, God is in the process of correcting this thinking and He is enabling me to come out from beneath the feeling of self-condemnation that has plagued me for way too long. God is also helping me to cut my own mother some slack as I acknowledge before Him that we are all flawed human beings.
*
Moms, I hate to break it to you, but we will never be perfect beings, not one of us! According to the Bible, there has only been one that is perfect and it is not us. I now thank God that with Jesus as my Lord and Savior I do have the tools to accept my role as a “Foster parent” of God’s children. Let me explain.
*
So many of us say “children are a gift from God,” and that they belong to Him, but then we don’t let Him handle their lives/problems. When there is need/trouble we jump into action before spending adequate time in prayer. We tend to think that we are the only one that is able to get control of the situation and we activate our own plans. I can tell you personally that God has used my broken relationship with my teenage daughter over the past year to help me understand that I control absolutely nothing. He is showing me without a doubt that I am helpless without Him. I have been unable to change neither her heart nor her thinking no matter how hard I have tried. It has truly been a painful journey for both of us but I believe I see a ray of hope on the horizon. I have also accepted that my only responsibility as her earthly mom is to pray, love, guide, and care for her right where she is while her Heavenly Father, through my prayers, works within her as He sees fit. I promise you this is not always easy as some of you may be able to attest to, but it is so necessary for healing and it can be quite freeing.
*
As I wait upon the Lord, I continue to hold onto the truth that the God I serve promises to restore that which is lost and I remind myself often that I too was once lost and today I know firsthand what God can do once you allow Him full access. So what do we do as we wait upon the Lord? May I share what I plan to do? I’m going to hold onto His promises and I’m going to pray like I have never done so before because I know that there is great power in prayer. Stormie Omartian writes in her book The Power of a Praying Parent, “The battle for our children’s lives is waged on our knees. When we don’t pray, it’s like sitting on the sidelines watching our children in a war zone getting shot at from every angle. When we do pray, we’re in the battle alongside them, appropriating God’s power on their behalf. If we also declare the Word of God in our prayers, then we wield a powerful weapon against which no enemy can prevail." I love this!
*
I am on my knees daily and I am hanging on tightly to these promises.
*
John 15:7, “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.”
Psalm 34:17 “The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles.”
*
Moms may I suggest a conversation with God today. Share your heart and then step back and watch Him work. I’m getting little glimpses of the miracle of prayer these days and I wait with anticipation of the victory.
*
Prayer:
Father God, please help me to remember that You are the Master of all. I surrender my children to You and trust You to guide me as I mother them each day. Thank You that Your word holds the keys to every problem and concern.
*
Challenge:
This week, take each and every mommy decision to the Lord, no matter how small it might seem. It only takes a moment to breathe out a prayer for guidance and direction. Be sure to take note of how the Lord leads you each day.
*
Pam Crawford 2008
To receive Pam's weekly e-devotional, Reflections, email her at pmcrawfordatwindstreamdotnet.

No comments:

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!