Monday, March 21, 2011

I Forgot I Was Naked

Please enjoy this 're-run' of a devotional posted in 2009.
By Jen G. 2009

Countless times in my married life I have caught a glimpse of myself in that bathroom mirror after a shower, each time lamenting my size and shape. The distress I experienced didn’t last long, however. After that post-shower shock I usually headed into a day of eating what ever tempted my taste buds. Each trip to the fridge or pantry could have been drastically changed if only I had not forgotten what I looked like naked.

Many times I have experienced something very similar spiritually. I spend time in the Word and am convicted by the Holy Spirit about some sin issue in my life. Afterwards I stumble right into the same sin pattern, completely forgetting what the Lord showed me. I have heard the Word of the Lord, yet I walk away failing to do (obey) what He said.

But be doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the Word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. James 1:22-24

In the first part of the passage the man observed himself and then walked away deceived. He was deceived because he thought he had done all that was required of him by simply hearing the Word. Think of telling your child to clean up his room and then finding that he did not. When you approach him he assures you that it is okay. After all, he heard you, isn’t that enough? Obviously that is beyond ridiculous, but I do the same thing in my walk with the Lord. As always, when the Lord points out a common problem in the Christian walk He also gives the solution.

But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does. James 1:25

The key is to “continue” in the Word. I obviously can not tote a Bible around with me all day long ignoring those around me so I can stay in the Word, but I can study and hide that Word in my heart. When I hear God’s Word through reading or listening it is imperative that I do more than just hear it. I must DO it. I must walk out what He has graciously shown me. If I do not then I am deceiving myself into thinking that simply hearing it is okay. Hearing combined with doing is what will bring blessing to my life. I must look into His perfect law of freedom and walk it out. I must continue to hear and examine and do what He tells me. His way brings blessing and freedom. My way leaves me walking around naked. And who wants to do that?

Prayer:
Father, thank You that Your Word exposes sin in my life. Please help me to be obedient when You reveal something to me. I desire to walk in Your perfect law of freedom each day. Amen

Challenge:
This week do more than glance at yourself in the mirror of the Word. Look deeply into it, taking note of specific areas where you need to obey the Lord. If you have a hard time remembering those areas make a sign and post it on your refrigerator or wall. For example: “Arguing with my husband is a sign of pride in my life. God’s Word says where there is self-seeking that evil and confusion abound. (James 3:16).”

Jen G. 2009

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ugh! Great re-post (in this case, "ugh" is good!). : )

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!