Monday, January 24, 2011

Abundant Simplicity

by Sarah S. 2011

A young woman in our church sat across the table from me. They (being military) had just moved back to town after 1 ½ years training in another state. She had already been feeling the pull of others’ plans and ideas of what she should be involved with. “I just feel like God is reminding me to keep it simple.”
*
Isn’t that truly a challenge in this day and age of two working parents, overactive schedules, Facebook, television, computer and….noise?

Where do we begin? First and foremost our number ONE priority is Jesus. This is where the heart of simplicity starts. How can we properly focus or make decisions until we have plugged in to our very lifeline? Our job is to pray and spend time in His Word. HIS job is to change us and use us. Let Him guide what we are involved in. But how do we hear if we don’t stop and spend time with Him? It sounds too simple, right?

I wish it was a given fact that believers already did this,but I hear all the time about a LACK of time to spend with God. This I do know: what is important to us is where our time will be spent. Be honest with yourself---do you have time to be on the computer? Facebook? Did you enjoy your favorite show last night? Then there WAS a spare moment.

Simplicity starts with time alone with Jesus. God longs to be with us. He promises wisdom when we seek Him. If you are feeling overwhelmed consider time with the Lord to re-focus and ask for His desires for your schedule and priorities.

If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.  James 1:5


Prayer:
Father, thank you that you love me so much and you long to be with me. Please, this day, guide where I spend my time and what I do. I long for wisdom from YOU for each day.
*

Challenge:
If you are feeling overwhelmed and unplugged, honestly search your heart to see where you are spending your time. Consider getting back to the basics and making time with the Lord your first priority.

Sarah S. 2011

1 comment:

Juanita Rose said...

Hi Jen,
I just started reading your blog on the recommendation of a friend.
Thank-you for this reminder.
I stand convicted.
It is his kindness that leads me to repentance.
Thank-you for your words of encouragement today.

Blessings,

Juanita

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!