Monday, November 15, 2010

Are You a Jonah or a Moses?

My daughter and I were out with some friends looking for riding gear. While we were chatting, the young woman assisting us briefly shared a recent trial. The “I will be sure to pray for you” sentiment pushed forward in my mouth. And then the Lord clearly told me to offer to pray with the young woman assisting us.

Jen: “Seriously, Lord? You are seriously telling me to ask this girl if I can pray for her. In the middle of this store?”

Lord: “Yep. I am.”

As my heart surrendered to His leading, the sweaty palms and pounding in my chest subsided. A peace and confidence flooded over me as I boldly asked, “Would it totally freak you out if I prayed with you right now?”

The young woman looked surprised, but immediately said she would love it if we prayed. My daughter and our friends bowed their heads as if praying in the middle of a ritzy tack store while people milled around was the most natural thing in the world. And I prayed.

This story is shared not because I have a handle on immediate obedience, but because I do not. More often than not, I resist the urging of the Holy Spirit. I beg Him to speak to me, give me direction and use me. And then, when He tries to, I argue. I tell Him I am too embarrassed, not qualified and not gifted enough. In doing so I miss whatever blessing He has for me in the task at hand. Even worse, I fear, is the blessing someone else will miss because of my orneriness. Praise the Lord that this time I listened!

Jonah argued with the Lord. Instead of listening and obeying, he came up with a myriad of excuses. Most of them centered on the unworthiness of the people of whom he was being asked to minister. He did eventually end up obeying, but it was with a sour heart bent on getting the job over and done with. When the people listened to the Lord’s warning Jonah was mad! (Jonah 3:10-4:1)

Moses argued with the Lord as well. He gave reasons why he was not qualified to do the seemingly impossible job of leading the Israelites into freedom. Moses’ issues stemmed from fear rather than stuck up, Jonah pride. The Lord spoke to Moses firmly, assuring him that he was called and would be thoroughly equipped. As a result of Moses' obedience, God’s people were led into freedom and we have a beautiful example of an Old Testament shadow of Christ’s atoning work. (Exodus 3 and 4)

Are you a Jonah or a Moses? What is the Lord asking you to do and how are you responding? Do you jump at the chance to see how the Lord will work in your weakness or do you puff yourself up thinking that you are too good for the mission He has called you to perform? I encourage you to get ready to respond positively to what He calls you to do today.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,  not of works, lest anyone should boast.  For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."  Ephesians 2:8-10
*
Prayer:
Father, I thank You that You have equipped me for every good work and that nothing is too difficult for me to accomplish through You alone. Help me to listen to Your voice today and to act immediately. Amen.

Challenge:
This week, start your days off asking the Lord to prepare your heart to hear His instructions and act on them. When you feel Him speaking to you, step out and DO what He is directing you to do. Keep a written record of how often you felt prompted to speak or do something and the results.

Jen G. 2010

No comments:

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!