Monday, September 13, 2010

Are You a Foolish Woman?

Proverbs 31 is the Holy Grail of most Christian moms I know. Who wouldn’t want to be a creative, frugal, early rising, business-minded, sewing and cooking dynamo? Depending on the day, looking at this truly amazing lady can make one feel either incredibly inspired or deeply depressed.
*
There is another woman featured in Proverbs who deserves our notice. She is the Foolish Woman. Proverbs 9:13-18 says: A foolish woman is clamorous; She is simple, and knows nothing. For she sits at the door of her house, On a seat by the highest places of the city, To call to those who pass by, Who go straight on their way: “Whoever is simple, let him turn in here”; And as for him who lacks understanding, she says to him, “Stolen water is sweet, And bread eaten in secret is pleasant.” But he does not know that the dead are there, That her guests are in the depths of hell.
*
Let's break this woman's life down a bit. First off, she is clamorous. (v 13) Clamorous means to speak and repeat loud words; noisy; vociferous; loud; turbulent. (Webster’s 1828 Dictionary) Not only is this woman obnoxious, she is also stupid. (v 13) Why? Because she sits at the door of her house, or in a well populated area, wasting time being a nosey distraction. (v14)
*
Could it get worse? Oh yeah! This foolish woman is also misleading. She is not content to be simple herself, she leads others into untruths as well. (v 16) Her method of creating other simple people is to give them really awful counsel. (v 17) She then leads them astray with her bad ideas and chatter. (v 18) By this point, her acquaintances (and probably her children) have become like her and are walking a very slippery road that does not lead to godliness or blessing. (v 18)
*
Wow. Can you imagine anyone really being like this? Unfortunately, if we each take a good, honest look at our hearts, we will most likely see some similarities with this miserable woman. Here are some questions that might bring insight to our own heart condition:
*
~Am I loud and obnoxious? Do I talk too much, drawing attention to myself? Do I cause discord with turbulent words and attitudes?
~Do I fill my mind with useless information gleaned from soap operas, romance novels, or tabloids?
~Do I waste time chatting on Facebook, email, the phone? Do I spend more time running from place to place than I do in my own home? Do I encourage others to leave their homes for activities that might not be right for their families? Do I stick my nose in other people’s business for my own curiosity's sake?
~Do I give advice based on my own personal feelings and not the wisdom that comes from above?
~Do I cause others to want to be more like Jesus or more like themselves?
*
If you see foolish woman tendencies in your life, do not lose heart! The Lord promises us in James 1:5 “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.” And earlier in Proverbs 9, Wisdom herself calls out to us and says, “Forsake foolishness and live, go in the way of understanding!” I encourage you today to leave behind any foolishness and rise to your calling as a wise woman!
*
Prayer:
Father, thank You that I am a new creation in You. I do not need to live foolishly because You have promised me wisdom when I seek it and ask. Amen.
*
Challenge:
Read Proverbs 9 from beginning to end. Notice the contrast of Wisdom’s offerings in verses 1-6 to the foolish woman’s in verses 12-18.
*
Jen 2010

No comments:

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!