Monday, July 12, 2010

The Righteous Gavel

Psalm 37:7-9
Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret – it leads only to evil. For evil men will be cut off, but those who hope in the LORD will inherit the land.
*
*

Shortly after my cousin was murdered this past November, I was asked a series of normal culture questions which began with the “how” and “why’s.” There was one question in particular that I recognized as a test from God. This question was posed by a complete stranger who struck up a conversation with me in a check-out line. She had noticed the amount of sympathy cards that I was purchasing. I shared briefly what had happened and that my cousin came from a large family and I was looking to comfort them all in some small way. She went on to ask; “Aren’t you really angry, I’m sure you all just want justice!” I remember my response quite vividly. I told her, “Well, of course I want justice; but I believe that the final word always comes from GOD Himself and I’m trusting in whatever He allows.” Now, I wish you could have seen her face. She looked at me like I was an alien from another planet. She responded “How can you have that kind of response, I would want to kill someone!”
*
Please understand this, my response that day was not a human response at all, but rather it was a biblical one. I was kind of shocked by it myself. I explained to the woman in the store that “anger” is exactly what led to the death of my cousin and that I was trying to be careful not to go there. I further explained that “agitation” was allowed to turn into anger and then a choice was made to respond to the anger which resulted in the act of murder. We both finally concluded that there is a real lesson within these kinds of tragedies. Do I believe these men set out to kill my cousin? No, but I do believe they all underestimated the power of anger. Do I want fair justice, you bet I do, and I’m praying for it!
*
The truth is it’s often very difficult to wait upon the Lord when things appear unfair, but we need to do just that. My cousin’s death was unfair, and at present it appears these young men are getting away with murder. However, it is important to understand that what appears to be a success or a blessing at times, is simply a temporal illusion. The real reward will be an eternal inheritance that awaits those who have placed their trust in Jesus Christ and have repented from sin. When it appears that justice has not been served, rest assured GOD alone has the final word. He promises to right every wrong; His Holy Word says just that.
*
King David tells us in the Psalms that “the Lord knows the days of the upright; and their inheritance shall be forever.” It is quite possible that the men that killed my cousin may not get the sentence we believe they should get here on earth. Nevertheless, we are told not to envy people who appear to be receiving an award on earth. Our true reward comes in heaven for those who surrender their sin to GOD. May these young men do just that before it’s too late.
*
Prayer:
Father thank You that You are the God of justice. Please help me to remember that what might seem unfair to my earthly eyes is all taken in by You. You see all and know all and will bring justice in Your perfect timing. Help me to rest in You and Your judicial hand. We also pray that the men involved in this crime would take responsibility for their actions. Lord You were there; You saw it all, and we ask that You reveal all the facts necessary to bring about rightful justice. If possible I also pray these families can avoid a long drawn out trial. In Your Son’s Name we pray. Amen.
*
Challenge:
Keep your eyes on the eternal prize of Jesus Christ, the Author and Finisher of our faith. He is the One who will bring vindication and truth in all circumstances. Guard your heart against vengeful feelings and resentful attitudes.
*
Pam C. 2010

No comments:

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!