Monday, June 7, 2010

It's Not About Me

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge." Psalm 62:5-8

*
If there has ever been a Scripture that reinforces that “it’s not about me, it’s about God” you’ve just read it. Have you ever noticed that it doesn’t matter what it is, someone can always find something to complain about. Why is that? The simple truth is; how it affects us, determines the way we perceive it. For example, my oldest daughter used to hate Valentines Day until she had a Valentine. I can remember being annoyed with all the Mother’s Day hoopla until I became a mother. Both of us would have to admit that before it was about us, we viewed those days as nothing more than an opportunity for Hallmark to sell more greeting cards.
*
The same thing happens in our churches my friend. I’m sure you have heard, or like me, you have been the complainer concerning a particular sermon or type of worship music. Do you understand that this is wrong? Not everything can be about what works for us. There are other hurting people all around us that might be benefiting from the same thing you are discarding. May I suggest the following insight shared by Sharon Jaynes of Girlfriends in God to better understand this “it’s not all about me” concept as it relates to our church? Be blessed.
*
Sharon writes: “I didn't like that sermon." "I didn't like the singing today." "I couldn't relate to that teaching." And on and on we go. You know what I've discovered...It's not about me. It is all about God. If the pastor is preaching on a topic that is not my struggle, I pray that God will open my eyes to new truths that I've never seen. If he is talking about losing a loved one, I pray for those who have lost a loved one recently...even though that not might not be my struggle at that particular time. Is the teaching on raising young children? I have a grown son, so I pray for those who are in the throes of raising the next generation.
*
One Sunday, I was singing in church. Barely singing, I might add. It was a dry old hymn and I just wasn't into it. Then I looked at an older women a few seats down and she had tears trickling down her wrinkled face. She was moved to tears by that old hymn and was taken to the throne room of grace. "Oh Father," I prayed. "Please forgive me. This is not about me. It's not about what I like or dislike. It is all about You. Truth is truth. Worship is worship. Help my focus be on You and You alone. It's not about me.”
*
Prayer:
Father help us to understand the importance of this message. Help us to be willing to extend grace to others. Help us to set aside our own will and empower us to replace it with “Your Will,” because we simply surrender to the fact that You know what’s best. In Your Son’s name we pray. Amen.
*
Challenge:
Take time to search out the verses in Scripture that encourage you to think of others, prefer others, put others first. When you are tempted to cast aside something that is just 'not your style', remember that someone is being blessed by that same thing. Listen to this beautiful song for encouragement to keep Jesus first in all things.
*
Pam 2010

No comments:

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!