Monday, May 3, 2010

Back to Back

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
*

Have you ever been in a spiritual battle? A battle that made you feel beaten down and tired, your mind speaking lies over and over, convincing you that you were unable to accomplish what you were once so sure the Lord called you to do? I was there last week. The homeschooling adventure was feeling more like a bad dream and I was giving in to the feelings of failure and exhaustion. As a homeschool mom that was bad enough. As the leader of a homeschool group it seemed even worse! Add ‘faker’ to the lies the enemy was whispering and you can get a taste of what I was dealing with.
*
I have been told that in ancient times, when swords were still used in battle, men would fight in pairs. They would stand back to back while fighting the enemy, thereby guarding their partner’s back. I am happy to say that I have some soldiers that watch my back in battle. These women heard my cries, literally, and jumped to my defense. They spoke the Truth to me and over me, reminding me of the goodness and faithfulness of God. In a moment of utter despair they gave hope and love.
*
Do you watch the backs of your friends who are in the trenches of mommyhood, homeschooling, ministry, marriage, widowhood, or career? If not, I encourage you to do so. On the other hand, maybe you have closed your heart off due to past hurts and disappointments. If so, that is another great reason to find a battle partner. Pulling into oneself to avoid hurt only creates a battlefield advantage for the enemy. Being a safe and trustworthy friend is a good thing, just like sharing your struggles with a safe, trustworthy friend is a good thing. There is safety in the multitude of counselors. Proverbs 11: 14 Stick close and watch each other’s backs.
*
Prayer:
Father, thank you for my friends who are willing to speak words that are like apples of gold in settings of silver. Help me to also be a friend who recognizes when my friends are being attacked by the enemy. Help to use my sword, Your Word, to defend them against Satan. Amen.
*
Challenge:
Find someone to be your partner in the area of accountability. Be sure to give them the same protection and help that you yourself need. Set up a regular time when you can both share prayer needs, ask advice, and keep each other focused on the Lord.
*
Jen 2010

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Love the scripture!!! I may add it to my handy index card file of Truth!!!

Glad I am counted among your fellow sword-slingers and that you are among mine!!!!

Have a great day doing the wonderful job God has fully equipped you to do!!!!

Lisa said...

So true!!! We need each other to lift us back up to Jesus when the enemy has beaten us down. You have done this for me in times past. I'm always glad to be there for you!! :)

Praise God that we're not alone! We have each other, and we know that He has equipped us with everything good for doing his will. (Heb 13:21)

If the enemy is speaking to us we know it's a lie because there is no truth in him. So if the voice we're hearing in our head does not line up with who God says we are in Jesus Christ it is a lie!!!

God is good and we belong to Him!

Adrienne said...

There is a possibility of getting TOO close, though. Imagine your fellow soldier trying to grab your sword from you, criticizing your fighting style, bossing you around, and in general being all up in your business all the time. A good fighting partner knows how to respect individuality and space (does it show I'm speaking from experience?).

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!