Monday, January 18, 2010

Whatta Face!

Growing up I am sure I gave my parents many “oh-my-goodness” moments in regards to my mouth. Just ask my mom about my experience with a rather large preschool Sunday School teacher…. Once I got a pretty good handle on my mouth, Mom started working with me on my facial expressions. Sometimes my face did more damage than my mouth. (Yeah, I know how that sounds!)
*
Some people say that the eyes are the window to the soul. If that is the case, then I believe that the face is the curtain on that window. With your face you convey happiness, sadness, anger, irritation, shock, joy, humor, and a myriad of other emotions. Sometimes you suggest an emotion that you are not even feeling. I am certain that not all the scowling people I see at Wal-Mart are bitter, angry people. The same goes for the grocery store, McDonalds, and even church.
*
A man’s wisdom makes his face shine, and the sternness of his face is changed. Ecclesiastes 8:1b

What does your face communicate to others? If you think that guarding your facial expressions is a pointless waste of time and that people like me simply need to get a real life and stop face watching, I would say that I think you are not putting enough thought into the matter. Think of all the unsaved, hurting people that you work with or live next door to. Do they see a face that shines from a wisdom that comes from knowing Jesus or a grimace that shows discontent with life? Maybe your church family sees an irritated look that speaks volumes of your thoughts about your husband, children, friend, or pastor. What do your children see when they interrupt you? Your husband when he approaches you intimately?
*
I am by no means saying that we should not allow sad or angry emotions to show on our faces. After all, God created the ability for us to express our feelings in our faces. That is how we get many social cues. I am encouraging you to be mindful of whether the look on your face is actually expressing what is in your heart. If someone looked at you while you were going about your day, would they see the peace that the Lord has given you through salvation? Would they see joy and satisfaction?
*
The face is the mirror of the heart. Take time today to see what you are reflecting.
*
A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance. Proverbs 15:13
*
Prayer:
Father, thank You for making me in Your image. Please help me to be aware of the look on my face and to remember that it is a reflection of You. Let me always be mindful of how I represent You. Amen.
*
Challenge:
Keep track of your facial expressions this week. Ask a close friend, an older child, or your husband to help you ‘see’ what you look like in various situations. Discreetly watch strangers this week to get a good picture of what I have shared. Would you guess that someone had peace and joy by the look on their face or would you assume that they were mean and grouchy? Remember, our faces give others clues to who we are on the inside. If your face is not showing joy and peace, take time to find out why. Maybe there is something in your life that is keeping you from being able to shine.
*
Need:
A Fresh Start reader from Ohio and her family lost their home to a devastating fire this month. If you would like to help the Snyders financially, you may do so by donating at any Huntington Bank branch.
*
Jen 2010

1 comment:

Pink Slippers said...

wow...I like this post. I have a 5 year old who is a natural to the facial expressions.

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!