Monday, December 28, 2009

Fresh Starts

Several years ago I had an interesting conversation with two friends regarding the topic of fresh starts and New Year’s Resolutions. I was sharing how I preferred to start new things or start things over on Mondays; if math went wrong on Wednesday we would start over on Monday. If I realized on Monday night that I needed to start waking up earlier I would plan to start on Monday of the next week. If I was rushed and neglected my time with the Lord on Thursday I would fix it on, you guessed it, Monday. New Year’s Day rarely starts on a Monday, so surely they could see that resolutions were really pointless for me.
*
My friends quickly pointed out that my ‘logic’ was completely illogical and totally unbiblical to boot. They shared Lamentations 3:23: “They (the Lord’s mercies) are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.”
*
Although this verse does not speak of starting over with school, waking, or quiet times it speaks volumes about the Lord’s faithfulness and the fact that He does not wait. Can you imagine if He waited until Monday to forgive me for screaming at my kids on Friday? Talk about living with guilt! What if I had accepted Christ in June and He didn’t count it until January 1st and I died in August?!!
*
The irrationality of my fresh start idea was becoming very clear to me. If I am supposed to be like Jesus in all things, then I needed to fix my ideas on new beginnings! Thankfully, I did and I now start over many times a day.
*
It is ironic that many years after that conversation I am now hosting a devotional site called Fresh Start Mondays. It just shows my desire to be orderly, I guess, and begin each week with a plan and goal. Please be assured that each devotional and challenge will work no matter what day of the week it is read. It is never the wrong time for a fresh start.
*
Prayer:
Father, thank You for fresh starts. Thank You for forgiving us at the point of repentance, for aligning provision before the need, for speaking at just the right time. Your example of new mercies speaks to me daily and I desire to emulate You in my life. Amen.
*
Challenge:
If you struggle with putting off what you need to do – physically or spiritually – be encouraged to start fresh right now. If you need to exercise, don’t wait until January 1. If you need to have a daily quiet time, be sure to have one before bed tonight. Celebrate each fresh start by stopping and thanking the Lord for the opportunity to begin again – again!
*
Jen 2009

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so encouraging, Sister. Thanks for sharing that.

Zinnada<><

Anonymous said...

You are so right. How many years have we wasted, total, by waiting until Monday? How much growth and productivity have we missed? How many more people could have been prayed for? How many more pounds shed? How many more relationships healed?

Thank you for sharing this.

G.L.H. said...

Great stuff! Isn't it an awesome thing that we don't have to make an appointment with God to "start over?" He is always waiting for us! And willing to do it, every single time!

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!