Monday, May 18, 2009

Choosing Peace

I am about to share something that may shock some of you.
*
Occasionally, I am not peaceful.
*
I could blame it on a child waking me during the night, PMS, money troubles - a myriad of things could claim the prize. Frankly, only one thing or person can be blamed for my lack of peacefulness. Me.
*
Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27 What Jesus gives to me, no one can take away. I can GIVE it up, but someone else can not steal it from me. I choose to part ways with peace. I choose to take on a burden that draws my attention and energy away from the Lord. I choose to put the cares of motherhood, marriage, friendship, finances, health, and ministry ahead of the promised peace of God.
*
Isaiah 26:3 says, "You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You." The solution to having the peace of God is pretty clear. If I am keeping my mind on the things of the Lord (Phil. 4:7-9) then I will be at peace. If I am not at peace, then I am not keeping my mind on the things of the Lord. Pretty simple and no way to get around it.
*
I desire that those around me see the peace of the Lord in my life. Spending time meditating on the beauty and holiness of the Lord will cause that desire to become reality and the God of peace will be with me. What a wonderful thing!
*
Prayer:
Father, I am so thankful that the way to that peace is by spending time in Your presence. There is no place I would rather be. Thank You, Jesus, for making the way for me to come directly to the Father. Help me to choose the beauty of Your peace over anything else. Amen.
*
Challenge:
Begin each day focusing on the goodness of the Lord and His promise of peace. Post some of the peace Scriptures around your home to remind you of the way to perfect peace in the midst of difficult circumstances.
*

1 comment:

G.L.H. said...

Boy, I needed this today! Especially the part about choosing peace. Thanks so much for sharing!

Check each Monday for a new devotional. Please share the site with your friends!!